EU Business School
Cookies on the EU Website
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience and to show you content related to your preferences. If you continue browsing, we consider that you agree to their use. More information

EU Business School

Executive BBA - Student Visas & Permits

Barcelona Campus


A) European Union citizens:

European Union citizens need to be in possession of a valid European Union Identification Card or Passport; there is no additional visa requirement.

B) Non-European Union citizens:

A student visa is mandatory for non-European Union citizens wishing to study in Spain for three months or longer. A student visa must be processed in your country of residence prior to your departure. You cannot get the visa in Spain and you cannot have it sent to you. The visa is affixed in your passport before you depart from your country and must be presented to immigration officials upon your entry into Spain.

After arriving in Barcelona, students have 30 days to apply for a Student Residence Permit. This must be renewed yearly. Due to the overwhelming demand for student visas, it is important that you start your process early to allow enough time for the consulate to process your request.

You must submit the following documentation:

  1. A passport valid for at least six months from the date of application

  2. Four recent passport-size pictures (stapled on to each copy of the application)

  3. An original letter addressed to the Spanish Consulate verifying enrolment as a full-time student at EU Business School in Spain and verification of payment of tuition. This must be a separate letter.

  4. A medical certificate, which should be typed on your doctor’s stationery, verifying that you are in good health, free of contagious diseases, drug addiction or mental illness. These items must be specified in the letter and signed by a medical doctor.

  5. A letter assuming full financial responsibility for tuition, room and board during your stay in Spain (minimum of €350 per month).

Please bear in mind that the visa requirements may change, therefore, we recommend that you contact your local Spanish Embassy or Consulate General to ensure that the requirements are up-to-date.


Barcelona Residence Permit and Number

After arriving in Spain, all international students must apply for a residence number called a Número de Identidad de Extranjero (NIE). Non-European Union residents must also apply for a student residence permit.

All of the forms mentioned below, as well as detailed instructions on the residence process, are available at the EU Admissions Office on the Barcelona campus. Please visit the EU Admissions Office on campus to register for an appointment. Here you will receive detailed information about the process while double checking that you have correctly filled out the paperwork.

Every student wishing to pursue studies in Barcelona (both European Union and non-European Union residents) MUST register as a resident (empadronamiento) in the city. You can register at your nearest district council office.

You must take the following:

  • Passport (original and copy)

  • Proof of residence (rental contract in your name or tenant authorization form)

  • Certificate of enrollment (available in our Admissions Office - takes 24 hours to process)

District council offices: (Office hours are generally from Monday-Friday 8:30-17:30)

  • Sarriá, St. Gervasi – C/Anglí, 31

  • Eixample – C/Aragó, 311

  • Les Corts – Pl. Comas, 18

Once you register at City Hall, EU nationals need to apply for a resident number and non-European Union residents must also apply for a European resident card.

A) NIE process for European Union citizens:

European Union residents need only obtain a Spanish residence number (NIE) as their own identification card is valid in Spain. This is done at the Comisaría General de Extranjería y Fronteras:

C/Balmes 192
Monday-Friday from 8:30-17:30
T +34 93 520 14 10
[email protected]

You must take the following:

  • Official application for NIE (filled out and signed), Ex-18 plus three copies

  • Your current, valid passport (original plus copy)

  • Proof of health insurance from your country of origin or purchased private insurance in Spain (at least one year)

  • Letter of residence (empadronamiento, received at City Hall)

  • Letter of enrollment from EU Barcelona

  • Three passport photos

B) NIE for Non-European Union Nationals:

Non-European Union residents must obtain a residence number and a national identification card with this number, as the identification cards from non-European Union countries are not recognized for residency in Spain. The process normally takes about four weeks.

This is done at the Foreign Office in Barcelona:

Rambla Guipuscoa 74
Hours: 9:00-14:00
T +34 93 520 14 10
[email protected]

You must take originals and two copies of the following:

  • Official form (duly filled out and signed), available at the EU administration offices (Ex-17) and three copies

  • Letter of residence (empadronamiento)

  • Valid passport (and copy)

  • Student Visa D

  • Photocopy of entrance stamp in your valid passport

  • Three passport photos

  • Certificates of enrollment

  • Receipt of tuition payment(s)

Munich Campus


You do not need a visa for short stays in Germany if you are:

  1. a citizen of the EU/EEA/EFTA

  2. a citizen of one of the following countries, provided you are not going to stay longer than three months. *Albania, Chile, Malaysia, San Marino, Antigua & Barbuda, Costa Rica, Mauritius, Serbia, Argentina, El Salvador, Macedonia, Seychelles, Australia, Guatemala, Mexico, Singapore, Bahamas, Honduras, Monaco, St. Kitts & Nevis, Barbados, Hong Kong (SAR passports) Montenegro, Taiwan (only passports that include an ID number), Bosnia Herzegovina (only biometric passports), Israel, Nicaragua, U.S.A., Brazil, Japan, New Zealand, Uruguay, Brunei, Korea (Republic of), Panama, Vatican, Canada, Macao (RAE only), Paraguay, Venezuela.

*You can get the residence permit directly in Munich providing the acceptance documents in immigration office.

For students not on the above list:

If you are from a country that is not on the above list, you must apply for a visa before your arrival to Germany. Each visa application is reviewed individually. Therefore the requested documents might vary. The Embassy reserves the right to ask for additional documents at any time. The submission of the below-listed documents does not guarantee the issuance of a visa (in time). Submission of incomplete documentation will lead to a refusal of your visa. Once a visa has been issued, the purpose of the trip may not be altered. There is no urgent/express visa.

When applying for a visa you need to schedule an appointment. There are big queues of students applying for visas, so you need to do it in advance. The university can’t do anything to schedule your appointment earlier.

It takes from one to three months to receive your national visa in your country. We ask for no status update until a minimum time of one month passed. After four weeks, we are able to contact the immigration office in Munich and inquire about your status of visa application. You must apply for a visa at your local German embassy.

You must turn in the following documents with your visa application:

  • 2 completed visa application forms in German with pictures and signatures accordingly

  • 2 forms certifying §55 duly signed

  • Health insurance covering your stay (minimum 1 year)*

  • Your passport and one set of copies of all pages containing information, visas or stamps (members of CIS countries also need their local passport)

  • Motivation letter and a CV

  • Evidence of previous academic performance/degree certificate

  • Letter of acceptance by EU Business School

  • Certificate stating your English fluency tests (IELTS/TOEFL/CAE)

  • Proof of finance with a minimum of €659 per month of your intended stay either by: a blocked account at a German bank showing a minimum amount of €7,908 (with a withdrawal limit of €659 per month)** or a formal letter of obligation, according to paragraph §§66,68 of the Aliens Act, from a resident of Germany and for the duration of the applicant's stay in Germany

* You need either local insurance which covers you in Germany while studying, or you can obtain German Insurance online (i.e. Klemmer International Insurance).

** You have to open a “blocked account” (Sperrkonto) directly with the bank of your choice. One possibility is to contact Deutsche Bank at [email protected] They will forward the necessary documentation with further directions on how to proceed.



This is your address registration in Munich. Every time you change your location within the city you must register it immediately at the KVR – Kreisverwaltungsreferat (local administrative department).

Bavarian law states that you must notify the authorities within two weeks of moving to a new residence. The information office is located on the ground floor.

You must take the following documents:

Passport (original)
Student acceptance documents
Proof of residence (rental contract)

Kreisverwaltungsreferat (KVR)
Hauptabteilung II Einwohnerwesen
Ruppertstraße 19
80337 München
T 089 233-96010
[email protected]

Opening hours:
Monday, Wednesday (by appointment) and Friday 7:30-12:00
Tuesday 8:30-12:00 and 14:00-18:00
Thursday 8:30-15:00

U-Bahn stop Poccistrasse: U3 & U6
Bus: line 31

Munich Residence Permit

You must obtain your residence permit within 90 days of arrival in Munich. The visa that you receive in your home country is temporary and only valid for three months. Later, you must apply for a temporary residence, which lasts for one year. The residence permit process is also done at the Kreisverwaltungsreferat (KVR) (see address above).

Go to the second floor desk in the KVR building. Go to the rooms for international students from private universities and take a number. You will be asked to fill out a visa extension form.

You must take the following documents:

  • Passport (original)

  • Studienbescheinigung, a document stating that you are an official EU student. You will receive it upon enrollment.

  • Three passport pictures (there are also photo booths in the KVR building)

  • An insurance contract for at least one year (i.e. care concept)

  • The completed visa extension form

After the application is done, you will receive notice that you are on a waiting list. The residence permit costs €100. The process takes at least 30 working days, during which you cannot leave the country. A notice that your card is ready will be mailed to you. You can also track it online. You can pick up your card at the KVR. You will need to take your passport and the letter you have received.

Renewing Your Residence Permit

You renew your residence permit at the KVR. No appointment is needed. This takes time, so take care of this in advance.

You must take the following documents:

  • Passport (original)

  • One passport size photo

  • Studienbescheinigung for new Academic Year (letter confirming EU assistance)

  • €100

  • Proof of insurance for at least one year

  • The completed visa extension form


I have a Schengen visa for Germany. Can I obtain a national visa in Germany upon arrival?

No. Visa must be issued before you enter the country and only in the German embassy of the country you reside in.

Can I convert my business visa into a national visa in Germany?

No. Please note that you cannot apply for a residence permit in Germany and you cannot convert your visa status. Processing takes 2-3 months.

Can I apply for a national visa and while waiting make a Schengen visa and travel to Germany before I have my visa for studies?

No. Simultaneous applications for a Schengen visa and a Student Visa cannot be entertained.

I have a Spanish residence due to my previous studies in Barcelona. Should I fly back to my country and re-apply for a German visa for studies?

No. If you hold a Spanish or any other EU-Member residence card for studies or work, you can apply for a German visa in a German embassy of a country which you have a permit from (i.e. Spain in this case).

I finished a high school in Germany, but in Berlin, can I extend my visa in Munich without re-applying in an embassy in my home country?

Yes. You can do that, but first you need to unregister your address in immigration office of the city you completed high school studies at. Second step would be registration in immigration office in Munich and extension of permit on territory.

I was doing a long-term language course in Inlingua in Munich, so I have a long-term visa for language course; should I fly back to my country or I can do a residence permit for studies in university in Munich directly?

Yes. You can have your residence card re-issued directly in Munich if you have acceptance documents from a university.

Back to top
This website is using cookies for statistics, site optimization and retargeting purposes. You consent to our cookies if you continue to use this website. Read more here.