EU alumni and staff met at Theresienwiese field on September 23 for the much loved Annual Alumni Oktoberfest Celebration in Munich. Alumni donned their traditional German attire for the ninth edition of the event and reserved a place in the Käfer’s Wies’n-Schänke tent, where the beer is the star of the show! Every year over six million liters of beer is consumed and this year is shaping up to be no different. Käfer’s looks like an old wooden farmhouse and you might just see someone you recognize, the tent is famous for its local and international celebrity sightings.
This year, nearly 100 EU alumni met and spent the afternoon catching up with each other over a liter of beer, or five, while enjoying typical Bavarian fare and decadent desserts.
For the latest EU alumni news and events click here or join the EU Alumni Hub to reconnect with your classmates, network and more by clicking here.
All about Oktoberfest:
- The largest tent, Winzerer Fähndl – Paulaner accommodates 10,900 visitors
- Samuel L. Jackson, Justin Bieber, Kim Kardashian, Usain Bolt and Selma Hayek are just a few celebrities spotted over the years
- Over 100,000 stolen beer mugs are confiscated and returned to their proper tents each year
- As it is a celebration of Bavarian culture, all beers served are brewed in Munich
- There are 14 big beer tents, 21 small tents and over 140 food stalls this year
- It’s a family affair for all ages, with carnival rides, games and traditional parades
- There’s even a wine tent, known to cater to a predominately female crowd
- The beer is brewed extra strong for the festival, with at least a 6% alcohol content